I am not for or against any of these work options. Both lifestyle choices have their pros and cons. I have just been lucky to experience both.
A Quick Comparison
Corporate 9-6 vs Freelance/Business
- Doing only what you’re asked to do even though you may not be passionate about it.
- Working under a boss.
- Waking up early every morning, getting to work. Less flexibility.
- Getting a fixed monthly salary from one place.
- Focusing only on the work required.
- Socializing with colleagues every day while you work.
- Being exhausted after work hours and hardly any energy left for socializing.
- Hardly any time and energy left to focus on intellectual growth (apart from office work). i.e. reading books, attending workshops, seminars.
- Unless you manage time well, you end up sacrificing all your hobbies and may not be able to focus on healthy eating options for the family.
- You make a lot of money but your expenses are quite a lot too (mindset of a fulltime job, peer pressure, stress etc)
- Hardly any time at home. Struggle managing house chores in time constraints. Ready-made meals, eating out is common.
- Complete freedom to decide what you want to do and how you want to do it.
- Being your own boss.
- Deciding your hours yourself. Flexible timetable.
- Income based on projects from different sources. Constant effort to get projects.
- Focusing not only on the work but also how, why, where and the struggle of how to increase earning streams. Focusing on housework alongside.
- Working in isolation.
- Very keen to make plans and go out socializing after working inside the house all day.
- Easily able to fit in intellectually challenging events and reading books.
- Time for hobbies + easily fit in home management chores while completing other projects.
- You make limited money but your expenses are controlled as you’re at home on weekdays and can spend less.
- Being able to fit in home management (cooking, cleaning, organizing etc) with work as you save up a lot of travelling time but all this can distract you from your work too. Healthy eating habits at home. Less junk food.
Are you a freelancer (business owner) or a fulltime employee? Would love to know your thoughts and how you view both these significant life & career choices.