We are celebrating the nations birthday today so its natural to feel the sense of nationalism. Through this article, I want to encourage patriotism all year long.
“Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.” Adlai Stevenson
Each one of us has a duty to be a responsible citizen. We have legal, social and moral obligations which we owe to our country that has given us everything, above all the freedom to reside in it as and when we want. Even for all those who have left the country, Pakistan is always a backup plan in case everything else fails, they always have a home to come back to. Pakistan is our abode; haven, land and address. No matter how many Nationalities we get on paper, we can never be a part of them. This is where we fit in. This is where we belong.
I just wanted to share some ideas today on how we can be patriotic throughout the year.
18 Ways to Serve Pakistan This Year
1. Obey Laws
- Rules exist only for us
- Every law has a purpose
- Let’s be good citizens and obey laws
2. Be Patriotic
- Take pride in Pakistan
- No ridiculing/taunting: only solution oriented debate
- Don’t be a hypocrite by backbiting it
- Focus on Pros & glass half full
- Remind ourselves of the positives
- Never complain about its issues
3. Keep Pakistan Clean
- Dispose off garbage in it’s proper place
- Do not spit anywhere other than a wash basin
- Do not pee any where other than a washroom flush
- Pull the flush every time you use public toilets. In case it doesn’t work, pour water in it
- Use recyclable products in everyday life
- After using public toilets, wipe off water from sink and flush to keep it dry
- Volunteer for cleaning initiatives
4. Stay in Pakistan to Serve it
- You can serve your country in the best way by working in it (I tried my best to convince my husband to stay)
- Running away from Pakistan is not the answer
- The educated class of Pakistan has to stay and serve Pakistan
5. Speak Only the Truth
- As Pakistani’s it is our responsibility to focus on integrity
- Integrity is vital towards being a good human being
- You have to be true to yourself and to those around you in order to succeed in life
6. Talk in Urdu
- No need to talk in English at home
- If you’re abroad, make sure you only talk to kids in Urdu
- Don’t raise kids who only speak english
- Kids will learn English in school anyway so talking to them only in Urdu is the best policy
7. Save Water
- Let’s try our best not to waste any
8. Plant Trees
- Be a part of tree plantation drives
- This is the most important from environmental perspective
9. Save Electricity & Gas
- Switch off electricity when not in use
10. File & Pay Taxes
- Become a proud tax payer
11. Be a Responsible Driver/Passenger
- Pass driving test to get a legal license before driving
- Wear seat belts in any moving vehicle (car, bus, airplane etc)
- Never drive or travel any vehicle without a license
- Never drive or travel without a seat belt
- Always use indicators before turning on the road
- Know traffic rules fully (booklet available) and obey them at all times
12. Always Choose the Right Way to the Wrong One
- Many times in life we have two choices: the right way & the wrong way! Be just.
- Remember two wrongs don’t make a right
- Even if everyone is doing something wrong, choose to do whats right
13. Teach a Child/Helper
- Teachers have a huge role in a society
- Teach someone how to read and write
- Inspire others to make a difference
- Sponsor a child’s education
- Teach a skill to someone that will improve their life
- Teach kids how to be productive and responsible citizens
14. Give Back to the community
- Donate money, paintings or things
- Take presents for the poor
15. Be Kind
- Talk to people nicely
- Be nicer to those who have less than you
- Make sure none of your actions cause inconvenience to anyone else
16. Mind Your Own Business
- No interference in other’s matters
- Respect rights, beliefs and opinions of others
17. Be at your best behaviour
- Whatever we do, wherever we go we are representing our country in more ways than we realize
- People don’t remember us by our name but by our country and religion
- We are representations of our country and must make sure we portray it in the best way possible
18. Get Involved
- Watch news to know whats going on in the country
- Stay involved in community matters
- Always vote!
- Fly a flag
What Pakistani’s living abroad can do for Pakistan
“I truly believe this: If an American leaves his country today, (for the taxes or whatever reason,) it won’t make any difference to his country. It is already where it should have gotten. But when someone living in an under-developed country leaves, his original country moves back many steps. Unless, he remembers, and still takes part in developing his original country. Its a delicate balance, one must give be loyal to both countries.” Shireen Gheba Najib
Pakistani’s living abroad can still do the following for Pakistan:
- Donate money in Pakistan.
- Talk positively about Pakistan. Don’t ever give foreigners reasons for them to think media is right.
- Teaching written & spoken Urdu and Urdu literature to children.
- Read Urdu books & watch Urdu plays to keep in touch with Urdu.
- Talk to family & friends only in Urdu (You will be talking to foreigners in English anyway).
- Being ambassadors of Pakistan at every level.
- Keep your savings in Pakistan. Buy plots in Pakistan as investment.
Check out my mom Shireen Gheba’s really amazing article on how Pakistani’s abroad can serve it. Click on the following image to read her article.
How to Be Responsible Pakistanis
It’s about being a less selfish person and putting the needs of society before your own. It is actually no hard work at all. It is just a lifestyle which we should choose to adopt. Basically means thinking of the impact of our actions on others. Let’s all act like liable adults and raise responsible kids. Thanks for stopping by. Do you feel strongly about this topic too? Do let me know.
This will result into a cleaner and greener place for us and our future generations.
I hate drawing room talk against our society. I actually want to make a difference. Who is with me in this mission?