Digital media is an ever-growing source of entertainment, news, updates, shopping and social interaction. Now, customers are more than ever influenced by not only your ads but what the media, friends, and peers are saying about your company and brand. Now consumers have access to information through digital media on the go, anywhere and anytime. Digital media is a strong marketing tool and your customers will know not only what you tell them about your products but more importantly the comments which anyone can post.
Today, it is more important than ever before, to offer best products and services to your customers so they have nothing but a pleasant experience to share. Customers today also dictate what quality, price and time they need and you must cater to their customized needs and preferences to stay on top of your business and competition. Whether you’re launching a new product or location or bringing in new business clients, social media campaigns work wonderfully with pivotal moments in a company’s life. Anytime you need to generate goals or generate buzz, social media is the foundation of your success in today’s world.
Purpose of this post
I completed my Masters in Business Administration, Majors in Marketing in 2007. I am currently working as Marketing Manager in an IT company BroadPeak Technologies, Lahore. I have experience in Sales & Marketing of over 10 years now from London, Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi. Apart from work, I am also a lifestyle blogger and share my thoughts on different aspects of life on my blog ‘A Little Bit of Everything’. Through this post, I would like to encourage young entrepreneurs to make full use of Social Media Marketing to promote their business.
You must know the answer to the following before you start:
- Company name and purpose
- Attractive logo, catchy slogan (consider hiring a professional for this)
- Who is your target audience?
- What social media platforms will you be using?
- Business profiles or personal profiles
1. Content Management
The first and the most important thing you need to sort out is to have a perfect profile or about section. Make sure you cover all aspects of your business in the shortest form. Make sure you re-read it a number of times to make sure there are no errors. A single typo can put your company reputation at stake. Check out competitors About sections and make sure yours competes and is attractive for your audience.
- Website (You can create your own on WordPress and buy domain)
- Pictures from events (Tag employees)
- Graphic image of Testimonials from Employees
- Graphic image Testimonials from Clients
- Quotations (business/company related)
- Technology updates
- General knowledge information. Facts & figures
- News update
- Ask questions/Enticing conversation to engage comments
- Try to keep text short. Use bullet points instead of paragraphs
They have the best reach out of all content.
- Focus on short 1 minute videos
- Brain storm about Time lapse short videos related to your business as they’re catchy
- Introductory 2 minute company video (slides, images, videos and music)
- Short Boomerang interesting videos
- Videos with writing/doodling and emoticons as in Snapchat/Insta-stories
- Sharing informative and entertaining videos.
6. Create Events
- Promote upcoming events
- Invite employees/guests on the event
- Hashtag is a single efficient way to increase your audience
- It basically links categories to make search easier
- Pair your hashtags with images
- Group your hashtags at the end
- Use trending hashtags that compliment your content
- Run hashtag connected campaign/contest
- Explore hashtags related to you first (on Google) and use multiple hashtags
- Do not use incorrect hashtags, abuse them, or use only hashtags in captions
8. Audio content
- Audio news
- Related podcasts
- An update in your business
9. SnapChat/Insta Stories
Today, this is one of the most popular social media platform. It basically is an overview of what your typical day looks like. These stories vanish within 24 hours. I used to use Snapchat but recently moved to Insta-stories. This is a great way to promote your business by showing behind the scenes and show teasers of your upcoming posts. I think it is very engaging for audience.
- Tagging and check ins increase the reach of your posts esp on Facebook
- Tag only people and places that are related to your post
- Add the person to be able to tag him/her
2. Content Frequency
3. Engage with Influencers
- Actively communicate with audience
- Comment on related forums
- Reply to all messages in time
- Follow your competitors. Study their campaigns. Follow their followers
4. Tips to increase social media followers/likes
- Quality content (everyday)
- Giveaway (free product/service)
- Use popular and relevant hashtags
- Contest (hashtag/game)
- Comment and like others related posts
- Following your competitors and their engaging followers
- Different eye catching content (doodle, video, interview etc) No monotony
- Posting eye catching videos regularly