This is a continuation of my article ‘Tips to enjoy winter’. I talked about how I decided to enjoy this city despite the cold weather that lingers for more than just winter. In case you missed it, please read it here:
In this article, I’m listing the things you can do in Halifax. To keep it simple, I talked about two seasons here: When it’s cold and when it isn’t.
HOW TO ENJOY LIFE IN HALIFAX
WHEN IT’S COLD
Following are my tips to enjoy life in Halifax, NS for when its cold as the winter here can last longer than other places in the world.
- Spend a relaxing day at the Central Library or your local library.
- Join networking groups in the city and make new friends.
- Visit the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Maritime Museum & Museum of Pier 21.
- Visit St. Paul’s Anglican Church, the oldest building in Halifax and the oldest existing Anglican place of worship in Canada.
- Visit Nova Scotia Parliament Province House.
- Attend Glow Halifax 2020 with family & friends from Nov 26- Jan 2, 2020 at Halifax Exhibition Center.
- Attend Evergreen festival which is between Nov 28 – Dec 20, 2020.
- Book a play and enjoy the experience at Neptune Theatre.
- Enjoy a weekend night at Pacifico Disco club with great food and ambiance.
- Spend an afternoon at the board room cafe with friends.
- Spend an evening at a pub with live music. 7 Halifax pubs with live music.
- Haligonians will tell you Saturday mornings are all about—The Halifax Seaport Farmers’ Market. Here you can grab a delicious breakfast and coffee from one of the many vendors while browsing local produce, homemade crafts, and more.
- Spend a day at a mall. Here are all the major malls in Halifax: Halifax shopping center, Micmac Mall, Sunnyside mall, Park Lane Mall, Scotia Square.
- Enjoy Retail therapy. (5 best shopping areas in Halifax)
- Attend Halifax Flea market at Halifax Exhibition Center.
- Visit Sunday Market Halifax at the Forum 9 am – 2 pm.
- Spend an afternoon at historic properties in Halifax downtown to check out their stores and cafes with a friend.
- Enjoy yummy breakfast at Athens, Pur & Simple, Ardmore Tea Room, The coastal, Robie St. Station, Foggy Goggle brunch or book a sumptuous crepe/waffle breakfast at Cacao 70, Waffle Love or Portland Street Creperie.
- Book a fancy meal at a hotel: Gio restaurant at The Prince George
- Indulge in a yummy donut from one of these: Fortune, Jaggers cafe or Vandal donuts.
- Dine-in restaurants: 360 Lounge, Pizza Delight, Birch & Anchor (great view), Foggy goggle, Montanas, Five guys, Freemans Little Newyork, Jim’s Family Restaurant, Boom Boom Burger, Yeah Yeahs, La Piazza, Salvatore’s Pizzaiolo Trattoria, Heartwood (vegetarian), G-street pizza, Dimitris, Rinaldos, Boston Pizza, Blue olive (Greek), Garden food bar & lounge, Charger grill, Noodle Nami & Stubborn Goat beer garden.
- Sushi places: Our most favourite places are the first three. The rest are all nice too. JUKAI Japanese&Thai, Mizu – all you can eat, Sushi Jet, Tako Sushi & Ramen, Sushi Nami Royale, Wasabi House & Arirang.
- Yummy spicy, garlic mayo fries at Aladdin. Yummy fish & chips at Willman’s, Johns lunch and Fries & Co.
- Spend a weekend afternoon at the pub Birch & Anchor beside the ocean.
- Have breakfast. lunch or coffee with the gorgeous view of Lake Banook at the cottage cafe on Paddlers cove.
- Paneer tika pizzas at Downtown pizza are also worth trying if you like pizzas with desi touch. Take out or delivery preffered.
- Spend some time at your favorite local coffee shop with your friends/family. Or discover coffee shops where you’ve never been.
- Following are some recommendations in order of my preference: Java Blend Coffee Roasters, Dilly Dally cafe, Lucky Penny coffee co, Humani-T cafe, Cabin coffee, Local Jo, Narrow Espresso, Steve o Renos, Trident Booksellers & Cafe, The Old Apothecary & The Nook Espresso Bar.
- Or go to a Starbucks or Second cup near your place with your laptop for work. I love working in cafes with my fav cup of coffee.
- If you drink, you can check out this article.
Sometimes you need an outing but don’t really want to be outside. Following are some ideas:
- Drive to a beautiful scenic location like DeWolf park or Horseshoe island lake park and enjoy the view.
- Scenic drive on Lawrence town to the Macdonald House cafe & craft shop.
- Afternoon snack at Bike & bean cafe after the scenic drive at St. Margaret’s bay.
- Book Kayaking or Jetski (sea doo) at waterfront with The Harbour Watercraft.
- Go to a ski resort. Here are the 5 Best Places to Ski in Nova Scotia.
- Ice skating is a great option and here are some locations for that.
Following are some walk ideas in order of my preference:
- Bedford harbor walk (entrance from De wolf park)
- Point Pleasant park
- Atlantic view trail on Lawrencetown Beach
- Hemlock Ravine park
- Long lake provincial park
- Belchers Marsh Park
- Go for a walk on Spring Garden Road & explore all stores.
- Go for a walk on Quinpool Road to explore all stores.
- Walk at the waterfront & downtown local shops with a friend.
- Walk around fishermans cove and the local stores there.
WHEN ITS NOT COLD
Peggy’s cove definitely tops the list when it comes to places to see around Halifax. The restaurant there serves delicious food as well. Other places to visit in Nova scotia are Lunenburg and Mahone Bay.
Summer in Halifax
Summer in Halifax is truly breathtaking and blissful. I call it heavenly! Since summer is so short in Halifax, our list is full of outdoor commitments. There are so many things you can do outdoors in Halifax. Following are only some of the ideas where you can go out for a picnic:
Following are my favourite parks:
- DeWolf park
- Sir Sandford Fleming park
- Oakfield provincial park
- Scott Saunders Memorial Park
- Horseshoe island park
- Chocolate lake park & beach
- Africville park
- Sullivan’s pond
- Dollar lake
- Papermill Lake Beach Park
- Stewiacke River Park
Following is list of beaches in order of preference:
- Crystal Crescent beach park
- Rainbow Haven Beach Provincial Park
- Conrad’s beach
- Martinique beach
- Queensland beach
- Lawrencetown beach
- List of best Halifax beaches
Other events worth attending
- Busker festival: July 28 – Aug 2, 2021.
- Burger week.
- Here is where you can find details of all upcoming events in Halifax.
My Google Map location links
If you know about other good places, please recommend them in the comments below so I can try them out and add them to the list.
Thank you for being here.